30/01/2011

2011

I have been in Chennai for almost a decade now and this is the first time I stayed back for the New Year. I know it sounds weird but that's the fact. I make sure that I always go to my native Madurai for the new year and I attend midnight mass in a church close to my house. This has been the routine right from 12th standard for some reason and I continued with that :)

So having decided to stay back I somehow wanted to go somewhere for the new year celebrations instead of sleeping at my home and after lots of confusion we ended up paying close to 2000 bucks for a night at the Radisson in the GST road. That was the cheapest and safest considering our residents. As we entered the hall there was nothing spectacular. We started of with the food and that was the best part of the night for me. They had a wide choice which included kerala style fish and few other continental dishes of which a desert made out of rum and brownie was yummy. Being a foodie the purpose for me was already served even before the celebrations started :)

As we started having our food there was this guy who started of the celebration with some simple games which were quite familiar to us and the only different thing here was that all old people played in front of the entire crowd. There were few intimidating games and it was a common sight to see husbands kissing and hugging their wives in front of the crowd which I believe is quite a culture in these places these days and I was not startled by any of these but few were. I could see them looking with an awe the way people behaved in front of the crowd. I was just wondering how my parents or for that matter even my sisters would feel had I brought them with me for this celebrations. For sure it would have ruined a nice day for me :)

Most among the crowd were people from the upper class or the upper middle class people with an apt outfit for the occasion and they looked so among the crowd. The dads and husbands found nothing odd with the length of the dress theirs kids or wives wore which would have irked common people for sure. They just got along with the celebrations and it gave an indication that this was yet another New Year party for them unlike us and another bunch of bachelors in the corner of that room.  Everyone was playing and enjoying each and every moment there and danced their way into new year 2011 with great joy. It was a memorable night for me too as that was the first New Year party I have ever been in my life.

But there was this section of crowd who were so stuck to their orthodox attitude and were trying their level best to look normal among this high class crowd. I assume that they have come just on the compulsion of their husbands and few even tried playing and dancing with sarees and it is obvious why it has a special mention here in the post. Few were even drinking in front their small kids and that's the only thing startled me on the night. They looked so lost in this world and were just trying their best to imitate what others were doing. I don't understand why would they want to do it in first place. They somehow think that it adds some brand value to them but it is worth nothing. It is always best to be what you are and what you feel.

I really feel sad for all those who are just trying to be an !@#$% when they are actually not one.

2 comments:

Sashi said...

dude....

I think you should go back to your old routine for the new year eves .... I think U might be just as culture shocked as others were.... Maybe u just have seen the 2 ends of spectrums... and you are just shocked to see the culture where people mimick other cultures...

Nagasaravana Perumal K I said...

@ Sashi

Exactly that's the point sashi .. they are trying to mimick ... if they are comfortable in what they do then it is fine... the prob is they are trying to be something wat they are actually not just becoz others are like that :)