23/05/2011

Pepsi

It was a time when One rupee meant a lot and people were happy with the treat that we have in the Bhaji stalls and Tuck Shops where it generally costs us 10 rupees or less for almost 6 people.I still remember flavoured or rather coloured ice cubes sold in plastic tubes for just 50 paise and 75 paise. There was even a variant for 60 paise which tasted a lot better than the other two. Interestingly it was named PEPSI and that was the way before we knew about the actual Pepsi. Vimal was the leading manufacturer of this Pepsi and I tried my best to get a picture of the same without much luck.


It was Sports Day for us and teachers made sure that everybody from the lower classes participated at least in one event. I just came to the ground from school in school van and I didn't know who will take me back to home that day. We didn't know much about the houses except for the fact that we wore different colour dresses or about the points awarded for each and every event or about the trophy my house captain will hold at the end of the event. We were split into teams of 10 and our objective was simple take the small balls for one circle to next in steps and do it in quick time. We were completely ignorant of the consequences and it was total fun. I remember I was in green house standing in the second half of the team and I have no clue who was in my team or even the opposition that day. The circles were placed in the track and there was a huge crowd awaiting us at the end of the last circle. At the blow of the whistle we started our routine and people were clapping and shouting like crazy. It was my turn and I finished placing all the balls in the intended circle and ran to the end. I was just clapping for the other members of my team hoping that we would come first.

The race was done and it was total chaos and I didn't know who won. There was this hand in that crowd which pulled me and handed over a 50 paise Pepsi. It was melt completely and once I split it open I was able to empty it in seconds which would have taken at least 10 minutes back then. It smelled and tasted weird didn't know carcinogens brought that effect. Recollecting the event today I am now able to realise the love my mom had for me. She was too excited and she didn't even know if I had won or not. She had come all the way from my home to pick me up walking almost 2kms in hot sun. She is not that educated and probably didn't know how Pepsi was going to taste once it melts down. All she had in mind was to get something cold for her son to have after the event. It was ignorance and love at it's best. I don't have half of the love what she had or have for me. I have no clue why is that so but then I have this feeling that I should probably should do what I can do the best to keep her happy within my limits.... :)

The reason that made me recollect this event is yet another Ignorance and Love at it's best bringing me masala idlies hoping that I would eat them hot in front of my office which is highly polluted and is the most in appropriate place to have. By the time I got to the idlies it was dry and close to in edibility but still it was full of love or rather stupid love :D I hope I am blessed to have it throughout my life.

4 comments:

Nimme said...

Nice one Naga.
Personally i also think Pepsi is unhygienic.

Vada pochey :)

Nagasaravana Perumal K I said...

Thanks da. You are only one with comments for all my blogs :)

Which pepsi are u talking abt by the way???? Both are unhygienic though :)

Bennet said...

Reminds me of the biblical verse :

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.

Anonymous said...

It brought tears even the second time i read it :) nice one...

Anbirkum undo... adaikum thaazh :)