13/05/2012

Tonsure

The concept had just always been fascinating to me right from my childhood. Men tonsure mainly for 2 reasons, one when their parents are dead and the other as a sacrifice to god. For women the later is the only reason out here in my part of the world. I have never clearly understood how sacrificing locks of hair can be a sacrifice to god. Nevertheless it does help temple generate income. The only benefit for us is we save time and money  taking care of the hair.

The last time I had tonsured was way back in school and that is when I was forced to do it with no respect to how I felt about. If I remember correctly I had my head shaven for almost every 2 years :( .... I had no clue why I had to do it nor did I get any reason except once when I had done it in Tiruchendur, that one was because my dad had become a diabetic patient and my mom somehow felt offering hair might get down the sugar levels. In fact being a baldy right through my school life had been one of the  factors of me being bullied right through my school life. Even today one of my school friend calls me Mottai :) :) :) It has been ages since and I decided to offer my hair to god in return for a favour that I have been asking him for quite a while. This was the first time that I had taken a decision about tonsuring and having got what I had asked for I held my end of the bargain. I went straight to Tirupati and had my head shaved. It felt so nice when the cold breeze caressed my bald head with ample sandal applied on top of it. Looking at the mirror I have only turned even more terrifying than I was already :)

It actually gave me an opportunity to try different styles of hair do which I would have never done before. Few of my friends even suggested that I try for villain role in the silver screen looking at my photos. Another added advantage that I have is, it is a summer now and I sweat a lot lesser than I usually do and that has saved me from catching cold. I was little embarrassed to say the least with the clean shaven head and I wished to get back my hair at the earliest. I didn't like myself with my head shaven clean.......

In retrospect I only realised that what I did was silly and idiotic. Having been any educated one may be I should have given a little more thought to it than I had done. I have no rights to criticize people doing crazy things in the name of god. What I had done was as stupid as what many do in the name of god. This experience had just thought what a human mind can actually do in dire needs and helped me understand that the stunts people do in the name of god like piercing through their body parts,beating themselves up, walking on a bed of fire is only for them to have a peace of mind and religion has nothing to do with it. As for me I am pretty much sure this will be the last time I am going have my head shaved unless and until I go bald :D :D :D

3 comments:

Nimme said...

dude write a blog about swift
i am waiting for it :)

My First Car :P
My First Satyam Movie with my GF in front seat of my New Swift ;) :P :P :P

Anonymous said...

Really appretiate your honest writing :)

Anonymous said...

I had been following your blogs for a few years. You know what...You can take up writing as a profession. May be a writer..or a journalist. :)